FES Prishtina is looking for a consultancy and research engagement to support the Ministry of Environment, Spatial Planning and Infrastructure (MESPI) in the field of Spatial Planning. Please submit your application via Email until 24th September 2021.
Background: The new law on spatial planning (2013) has introduced the new instrument of municipal zoning map (MZM) to cover the entire municipality area with develop rules and regulation. Based on this law and subsequent bylaws, municipalities developed Municipal Development Plans and Municipal Zoning Maps, which shall be approved with consent of the relevant line ministries and by the Municipal Assemblies. The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ, German funded) and UN-HABITAT are supporting the Kosovo local and national government in improving spatial planning. Since then, the process of commenting and approving spatial plans on national level has slowed down the implementation of the law in Kosovo.
Tasks: The expert shall set the structures for the evaluation of newly developed municipal spatial planning documents. The primary task of the expert is to support the ministry staff to initiate the review of the plan evaluation process establishing a consistent, practical and transparent evaluation by clearly defining the procedures and standards for evaluation, for the pending and new plans. Furthermore the expert assists in reviewing the existing and approving planning documents that are currently in process by identifying the bottlenecks in the approval process and help improve/ standardise the evaluation processes within MESPI with the planning bodies in municipalities.
The expert is tasked with collaborating with MESPI, Kosovo municipalities as well as Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung Prishtina Office in field of Spatial Planning.
Through her/his experience and knowledge she/he should
- Support MESPI employees in reviewing the ongoing evaluation process for the existing developing plans. This shall be done by collecting detailed data related to the procedures that will reflect work undertaken and future timing in plan evaluation;
- Provide analysis and support to the MESPI employees in preparation and/or comments in draft of regulations as required in the areas of urban planning, procedures etc.
- Liaise with GIZ and UN-HABITAT on inputs provided to MESPI (trainings, manuals, results of working groups, etc.) as well as with other relevant actors (e.g. AKM, NGO, etc.).
- Draft and systematically record analyses, recommendations and background materials for relevant legal documents and acts, enabling implementation of recommended changes; assist in preparing explanations and amendments for each reviewed measure, as needed;
- Meet with technical counterparts within the departments of the MESPI and municipalities as needed to check and verify the completeness of planning process. This shall be based in the experience and information gathered and advise the municipalities bodies in the process of planning by presenting the mapping of evaluation procedures.
- Develop a report for the ongoing plan evaluation process by presenting the existing situation of planning as well all the problems and delays in implementation of the administrative instructions related to Spatial Planning in Kosovo, and propose options for the future development of spatial planning processes in Kosovo.
The expert reports directly to the Minister of MESPI, or assigned delegated staff. He/she closely collaborates with its department of Spatial Planning, Housing and Construction and its Institute for Spatial Planning as well as other stakeholders involved.
Qualifications should include:
- University Degree in Architecture, Engineering, Urban Planning, or relevant university or higher degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience related to urban planning, architecture, or construction and institutional experience in the public or private sector in Kosovo or in the region.
- Thorough understanding of Kosovo’s current legal framework on spatial planning, and legal requirements for spatial planning in Kosovo.
- Experience and expertise in drafting recommendations for legal acts (AI, Regulations or laws) or in procedure mapping, within the institutions in Kosovo or in the region.
- Strong organizational and project management skills, and capacity to gather and analyze legal and regulatory data.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills in operational tasks, identifying issues, visualizing and presenting findings and recommendations.
- Strong conflict resolution skills and ability to align a team towards joint objectives.
- High level of energy, initiative, and drive for results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
- Proven ability to self-start work without close supervision, handle several different tasks simultaneously, and deal with rapidly shifting priorities under pressure, while maintaining attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team in diverse and multi-sector environment.
- Native speaker of one of the official languages in Kosovo, as well as good English is a must.
- Excellent command of Office Software, CAD programs, basic understanding of GIS software.
- Ability to travel throughout Kosovo.
Remuneration: Remuneration will be similar to a full time position (100 %)
The timeframe for the consultation will be from October 1st to August 31st 2022 with flexible working hours to be agreed in accordance with FES and MESPI with an estimated volume of 40 hours per week/20 full working days per month.
Applications documents (in English language):
- motivation letter (max. one page)
Application deadline: Please, submit your application via E-Mail until 24th September 2021 to antoneta.coli(at)fes-kosovo.org